My So-called K-Life…

An American Teacher in Korea. Contact at:

The Agony of IRS forms – Form 8802 January 18, 2012

Filed under: Pre-Korea — Michelle @ 12:52 PM

How to fill out your form 8802 for Korean Tax Exemption:

First you need to download the form from the IRS website.  Many recruiters also have a link to this on their homepages so make sure to check out your recruiter’s page if you used one.


Form 8802:

The long and confusing IRS directions for Form 8802:


If those directions scared you and made absolutely no sense – you’re not alone!

These directions are kind of long as well, but they are also step by step for how I got through the forms.  I hope this helps anyone else who is trying to get through this!

Form 8802

Applicant’s Name is easy enough, but your Taxpayer Identification Number is your Social Security number.

If what you wrote up on top matches what you’ve been using on your tax returns (haven’t changed you name or social because of marriage or anything else) then you can leave Line 1 blank.  If it’s different you would write the OLD name and/or social here.


Line 2 – Your permanent address in the United States!  This confused me because I thought that we would need to write in our Korean address, but it’s to show your residency in the United States.  I wrote down my parent’s address.


Line 3a – The address you want the residency certificate mailed to.  If you are doing this kind of late in the game like me and you know you won’t get it back before you leave, write down your parents or someone else you trust to forward the form to you once you are already in Korea.


Line 3b – If you want an appointee that the IRS can talk to state-side should they have any questions about the form and you can’t be reached.  I wrote down my father as it’s being mailed to their address and he does all my taxes anyway…nothing much to hide from me.  This step is not necessary though, only if you want to.


Line 4 – Check ‘Individual’ and then your citizen ship status.




Write your full name up at the top again


Line 5 – If you filed taxes during the last tax season check the form you used under ‘Yes.’  Most likely you filled out form 1040.

If you DID NOT file taxes during the last tax season, check one of the boxes under ‘No’ to explain why.


Line 6 – SKIP if you checked ‘Yes’ on line 5.  If you checked ‘No’ you’ll have to fill this one out.


Line 7 – The year you are going over to Korea.  For example, I am going over in February of 2012, so I wrote down 2012.


Line 8 – This one is a tricky one.  It’s a six digit number you have to write down.  The first four are the year you last filed your taxes on.  Since I have yet to file for 2011, I had to write down 2010.  Then the number 12 (as in 2012).  So here I wrote 201012.


Line 9 – Check the income tax box.


Line 10 – You have to include your name, your social security number, and a statement saying that you are a resident of the United States.

Example: I, Name as it appears on your tax filings (social security number), am a resident of the United States of America and will continue to be a resident in the year 2012.


Then sign and date the bottom of this page.


There should be one more page then – a big chart, this is to help you figure out your payment and so they can see which country you are going to be earning income in.

Again you fill out your full name and Social at the top.  If you made someone your appointee in 3b you’ll write their name in here as well in the box under yours.

The next box asks you about the calendar year – copy line 7 here.


Line 11 – in Column B, towards the bottom you’ll find Korea, South.  Write the number of certificates you want in the box next to that.  Then at the bottom, write that number again as the total.  The other columns should total zero.


Line 12a – Write the total number of certificates you are asking for again.


Line 12b – is already filled in for you.


Line 12c – If you are getting less than 20 certificates you can write zero here, if you are getting more (though really why would you need that many?!) you’d add $5 to for each additional 20.  There is a chart to the left to help you figure that out if you need it.


Line 13 – Add 12b and 12c for your total fee.  It really should just be $35 unless you are getting more than 20 for some God forsaken reason.



You can send a check or money order made out to United States Treasury for the amount on Line 13.  Do not send cash.

You can also pay electronically.  Go to their website ( and search e-pay and click on user fees to fill out that form.  If you do e-pay you have to enter the payment confirmation number that they will give you at the top of the first page of Form 8802.

I recommend sending a check because then you will be able to see when it clears through your account, if you have online banking, so you’ll have an idea about when they started processing your paperwork.

Remember it can take up for 45 days to get this process accomplished.

Where do you mail it:

Only if you pay by e-pay:

Internal Revenue Service

P.O. Box 16347

Philadelphia, PA 19114-0447


If you’re paying by check or money order:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Philadelphia, PA 19255-0625



OR by a private delivery service to:



ATTN: IRS Lockbox Operations

500 White Clay Center Drive

Bldg. 500

Newark, DE 19711



If you have any other questions feel free to ask.  Otherwise you can always contact them and have them walk you through everything like they did with me.  Their number is 1-267-941-1000.  This line is specifically for dealing with this form so they know their stuff.


18 Responses to “The Agony of IRS forms – Form 8802”

  1. Goran Says:

    When I pay electronically I can fax the form and get a quicker turnover. It is confusing.

    • Michelle Says:

      Isn’t everything having to do with the IRS though…

      I only just got to turn the form in a couple of weeks ago…and I did this post as I was filling out all the information…so keep that timing in mind.

  2. Bianca Says:

    Hi there! This was really helpful, thanks for posting! Do you mind if I re-post on my blog?

  3. Adrienne Light Says:

    If you do the e-payment, the address has changed:
    Department of the Treasury
    Internal Revenue Service
    Philadelphia, PA 19255-0625

  4. Nikki Says:

    Hi, so I was just wondering if maybe you knew the answer to this, I’m currently living in an apartment, my lease is up at the end of May and then I will be moving back in with my parents (otherwise I will have to break my lease in August when I move to South Korea). Can I put my parents address as my permanent one or do I have to put my apartment address because thats where I’m currently living? Also do you know if it’d be a problem that I’ve never done my taxes before? I only just finished with school a year ago so this will be my first year doing them.

    • Michelle Says:

      Use your parent’s address since that will be where they can send the form. It takes months for it to finally get to you. I don’t think it’s a problem that you’ve never filed taxes before but I won’t claim to be an expert for that. Call the number in the post and double check, but I don’t think it should be an issue.

  5. Janelle Says:

    I saw that on here you have the selection that you choose the individual selection and you write that perjury statement however there is also a teacher selection according to the instructions. I’m going over with EPIK so I don’t have the actual dates yet to do the teacher one.

    • Michelle Says:

      If there is a teacher selection it wasn’t there when I did the form so it is probably new – likely in response to so many people going overseas to teach. Call the help line – it deals with this form alone – and they can help you out with your questions.

  6. It’s great that you are getting ideas from this article as well as from our dialogue made at this place.

  7. Erling Thompson Says:

    Hey, what’s an realistic time-frame to receive your your certification back? I’ve been waiting almost two months and haven’t heard anything yet? Kinda freaking out.

    • Michelle Says:

      This took about 4 months for me. I was already in Korea by the time it finally arrived. They actually sent my parents a letter saying that it was going to take more time at one point. Don’t freak out too much though – did you write an address for it to be sent to like your parents or something? Because they can always forward it along to you when it does come in. You can just turn it in to your school’s administration office as soon as you get it and they will apply it. If they have taken any taxes out there is some system to get it back (ask your co-teacher), but since my school knew that this form was coming they never even started taking out taxes.

      Relax, it will arrive – just rather late.

  8. Luann Says:

    Michelle….I can’t believe I found this post!!!! Thank you so much! How did you find the contact number for the IRS? I had been searching forever with no luck…I finally search “how to check the status of an IRS form 8802” and your blog came up.
    I called the number and actually got to speak with someone (who was very nice) – after waiting only 10 minutes.
    Great job!

  9. Bree Says:

    Thanks so much! I just came to Daegu in Feb with the EPIK program and this post came in handy because I was sooooo confused! lol Thanks again

  10. CarrieD Vo Says:

    Thank you for posting this!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s